POSITION DESCRIPTION: EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
(click here for pdf)
Mission and Background
Zygote Press has been promoting contemporary fine art printmaking for over 20 years by providing an affordable, professional workspace for Cleveland artists. Zygote is a 501c3 organization with two Cleveland, Ohio locations: a workshop and gallery space in the Arts Quarter district of the St. Clair-Superior neighborhood and a workshop in the Waterloo Arts District neighborhood. Zygote is member-supported and receives additional funding from artist studio rental, private and community foundations, and government funders including Ohio Arts Council, Cuyahoga Arts & Culture, and the National Endowment for the Arts. Zygote’s annual budget is approximately $350,000 and currently has a staff of two full-time employees and four part-time employees.
Zygote initiates projects and programs in direct response to its neighborhoods and art community needs and has a proven track record for creating successful partnerships. As a result, Zygote’s growth has skyrocketed over the past several years. Artists here continue to generate work while earning revenue through sales, teaching, and contract printing in a collaborative environment. Zygote’s community-centered programs, classes, exhibitions, and cross-sector initiatives have expanded its initial impact from a provider of studio space and basic printmaking facilities to be a regular destination for international resident artists, offering hands-on programs to youth and collaborative groups, and has become a resource for arts organizations to create limited editions by artists.
For more information about Zygote, please visit www.zygotepress.org.
Reporting to the 16-member Board of Trustees, the Executive Director (ED) will have overall strategic and operational responsibility for Zygote’s staff, programs, and execution of its mission. The ED will develop deep knowledge of the fine art printmaking field, core programs, operations, and business plans.
The ED will be based primarily at Zygote’s flagship workshop and gallery at 1410 East 30th Street, Cleveland, Ohio.
Leadership & Management
- Ensure ongoing consistent quality of finance and administration, fundraising, communications, and education programs, and recommend and allocate resources and timelines needed to achieve strategic goals
- Exhibit strong financial leadership
- Actively engage and energize Zygote Press Board members, volunteers, members, and funders
- Lead, coach, develop, and retain staff
- Ensure programmatic excellence and rigorous program evaluation, the results of which can be effectively communicated to the Board, funders, and other constituents
Fundraising, Earned Income & Communications
- Expand contributed revenue in all giving sectors (individual, business, foundation, and government agencies)
- Maximize earned income through Ink House, Zygote’s Waterloo Arts District facility, which is specially designated for contract fine art printing
- Deepen and refine all aspects of communications – from web presence and social media to external relations with the goal of creating a stronger brand
- Use external presence and relationships to garner new revenue opportunities
- Lead strategic planning with Board members and staff to move Zygote into next stage of growth and accomplishment
- Study Zygote’s current facilities and identify opportunities for reconfiguration leading to greater office productivity and earned income (Facility assessment will be an on-going effort)
Board Development and Relations
- Maintain strong relationships with the Board to ensure that members are well informed about organization performance and are engaged at the appropriate level
- Assist with Board member recruitment and orientation of new members
- Coordinate the work and serve as an ex-officio member of all committees of the Board; work with the Executive Committee to assure all Board committee work is completed in a timely fashion
- Assist with Board meeting preparations, including agenda development
Other duties as assigned
- Excellence in organizational management with the ability to coach staff, manage, and develop a high-performance team, and set and achieve strategic objectives
- Proven fiscal management experience developing and managing budgets with the ability to clearly communicate fiscal status to trustees, staff, and funders
- Proven fundraising expertise in all giving sectors (individuals, business, foundations, government agencies) and special events and the ability to improve and develop income streams
- Success working with a Board of Trustees, including the ability to cultivate existing board member relationships
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; a persuasive and passionate communicator with excellent interpersonal and multidisciplinary project skills
- Creative thinking for organizational and programming ideation
- Unwavering commitment to quality programs and data-driven program evaluation
- Strong marketing and public relations skills, with the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders and cultures
- Action-oriented, entrepreneurial, adaptable, and innovative approach to business planning
- Ability to work effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people
- Experience working with volunteers and interns
- Possesses passion, idealism, integrity, positive attitude and is mission-driven and self directed
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field (art, art history, non-profit administration, etc.)
- 3-5 years leadership experience with direct reports
- Master’s Degree in related field
- 5+ years of leadership experience with direct reports
- Printmaker or printmaking experience
Zygote is a working printmaking facility. Please ask for list of physical requirements for this job.
Desired Candidate Characteristics
- Strong leader of people, ideas, programs, and budgets
- Committed to challenging the boundaries of printmaking
- Authentic respect for artists with ability to mentor artists
- Comfortable interacting with all kinds of people in all kinds of positions and roles in the community
- Energetic advocate for Zygote
Salary is commensurate with experience and organizational budget.
Email cover letter and resume to S. Murray, Chair, Search Committee at: firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please. Application deadline: September 1, 2017 or until the position is filled.